Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
NCrunch 1.33b occasionally fails to build an assembly, but provides no error information
jeremygray
#21 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:02:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Using 1.34b I have yet to see this problem rear its head for normal code file changes, but it is still causing problems when editing non-code files that are included in projects, even things like text files which have no build action, not even to be copied in as content! Luckily, my bug submission attempt went through without error so hopefully you'll be seeing some interesting details on your end.
Remco
#22 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:30:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
I did get that one! Thanks for kicking it though. I've dropped it on my list of things to take a look at :)
jeremygray
#23 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:33:44 PM(UTC)

Following up after my latest submitted bug report regarding this issue: After NCrunch failed while editing a non-code file, editing a code file in the project resulted in no change in the NCrunch build failed status, regardless of whether or not the source change I made could be built (the first and third attempts) or could not be built (the second attempt.) As usual, clicking the NCrunch reset button got NCrunch working again.
Remco
#24 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:35:38 AM(UTC)

I've had a look at this one in detail and I think it's because of read-only file locking problems. Are you using TFS?
jeremygray
#25 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:26:20 PM(UTC)

Perforce, actually/sadly/happily/etc., so much the same in the file locking department.
Remco
#26 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:18:17 AM(UTC)

I've introduced a fix in 1.35b for the read-only file locks, so I think this should sort out the problem for you. I'll drop a note as soon as the build goes out the door. Meanwhile, hitting the reset button should cause NCrunch to throw out the workspaces containing the locks and allow you to keep working :)
jeremygray
#27 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:50:56 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the update. I'll keep my eyes peeled for 1.35b.
Remco
#28 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:26:16 PM(UTC)

This issue should be fixed in the 1.35b build that was released this morning.
jeremygray
#29 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 4:08:09 PM(UTC)

I have yet to see this issue re-occur, but I've not been making many, if any, of the kinds of edits since 1.35b that I was doing with the earlier versions. I'll let you know if something does pop up but in the meantime 1.35b is working nicely.
partnerinflight
#30 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:18:42 PM(UTC)

Still seeing this issue on 1.35.0.16b. Filed a bug.

Basically have a WP7 solution with 6 projects. 4 fail to build with no error info, and red Xs; two just have question marks. Any ideas?
Remco
#31 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:49:53 PM(UTC)

Hi, thanks for posting.

I've had a look at the bug report you sent through. Is your application using silverlight for the windows phone? NCrunch doesn't support this platform yet, so I'd be surprised if this builds. I'm curious about the lack of information the engine is giving you about this though. Do you see any build messages in the processing queue window?
partnerinflight
#32 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:06:19 AM(UTC)

yup, SL on WP7. Processing queue window?
Remco
#33 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:11:02 AM(UTC)

You can get to the processing queue by choosing it from the NCrunch menu at the top of your IDE. It's a more physical view of what the engine is doing ... not great for keeping open while you work, but it's a good place to look if you want to know what's going on.
partnerinflight
#34 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:18:44 PM(UTC)

Ah, yes. I do see info in the queue window. So what's the ETA for getting this working? ;)

[11:16:53.1602-BuildTask-45] ERROR (Internal): System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot modify an evaluated object originating in an imported file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight for Phone\v4.0\Microsoft.Silverlight.WindowsPhone71.Overrides.targets".

Server stack trace:
at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ErrorUtilities.ThrowInvalidOperation(String resourceName, Object[] args)
at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ErrorUtilities.VerifyThrowInvalidOperation(Boolean condition, String resourceName, Object arg0)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project.VerifyThrowInvalidOperationNotImported(ProjectRootElement otherXml)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project.RemoveItemHelper(ProjectItem item)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project.RemoveItem(ProjectItem item)
at nCrunch.VSIntegration2010.MSBuildIntegration.BuildableProject.RemoveItems(String itemName)
at nCrunch.Compiler.RemoteBuildRunner.Build(ComponentBuildParameters parameters)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at nCrunch.Compiler.IRemoteBuildRunner.Build(ComponentBuildParameters parameters)
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.BuildProcessLauncher.#=q4KH$p4ixtdBrFcc94fR1muycNRVHYZAENVbIHJpqLq0=.#=qe12O05RR30a0U7lrtArlViAhwMyNTENKwIrlXB0_S3j2lA$7sUdht_ZqIa81nbWZ(IRemoteBuildRunner #=qzI24CDuxFN5h45ug7npZK2zEVgaOXwZIR4Mr7Se8Vyo=)
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.BuildProcessLauncher.#=qfO4zMrAChS8R_IQWnfyYjpeef3BvuspR0sBt6_2$6Ggx6S5B0z9zKeG0G3jWnY0Y(Action`1 #=qzby81Gl79jMNsZ2ydluulw==)
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.BuildProcessLauncher.BuildComponentInExternalProcess(ComponentBuildParameters parameters)
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.BuildEnvironment.Build(SnapshotComponent snapshotComponentToBuild, IList`1 referencedComponents)
at nCrunch.Core.BuildTask.DoProcessTaskAndReturnSuccessFlag()
at nCrunch.Core.Processing.ProcessingTask.ProcessTaskAndReturnSuccessFlag()
at nCrunch.Core.Processing.ProcessingQueue.#=q1dEw74QvFCHZvLaC0gI4_g==(ProcessingTask #=qQGKNQUwpcPIMHmMcq9HbgA==)

Remco
#35 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:29:16 PM(UTC)

Yes that looks the usual silverlight exception. I can't give an ETA at the moment but a number of people have been asking for this lately, so it is moving up the priority list. The best I can offer would be that it will be some time after Christmas.
partnerinflight
#36 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 6:38:05 PM(UTC)

You know, the way we address the lack of UT support in Silverlight is we simply create a CrossTarget project that links to the SL files, and run UTs on that project. This works great, except nCrunch has to be able to understand this semantic -- when working in a file X, see if X is linked from a .NET 4.0 project, and if so run unit tests against that....

Would that make your job easier?

(The WP7 projects can be done the same way.)
Remco
#37 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 10:28:24 PM(UTC)

In theory this is possible. You could make use of the 'UseBuildConfiguration' setting in NCrunch to tell it to use a different build configuration, then rig up your project file to build for non-SL .NET 4.0 under this build configuration. I guess it would create quite a bit of work for you though, as you'd need to specify each referenced assembly twice (once for each build configuration). You may also run into some subtle differences between the SL framework and the non-SL framework, which could trip you up ... Is this what you're suggesting?
partnerinflight
#38 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 10:50:45 PM(UTC)

Not exactly. So we actually have two separate projects, like

A.Silverlight.csproj (SL project)
a.cs
b.cs
c.cs

A.CrossTarget.csproj (.net project)
->a.cs
->b.cs
->c.cs

where -> represent links to .cs files. (the "Use Existing" option when adding files to a project). Yes, there can be some SL-specific code, we just #if it out to allow cross-compilation.

The trick is though for ncrunch to recognize that when I'm editing a.cs in the context of A.Silverlight.csproj it's actually covered by unit tests targeting A.Crosstarget.csproj. (i.e. a way to specific an explicit link between the two projects)
Remco
#39 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 3:14:03 AM(UTC)

Gotcha. I was thinking the same thing, but piggybacking off the same project file.

I think the key question here would be the target framework used for building the tests that cover the cross-target project. Right now NCrunch can't build SL application domains, so the tests themselves would need to be in a project that was also targeting a non-SL .NET framework. This in itself would solve the problem you've described, as the test project could be made to target the A.CrossTarget.csproj file in its Project reference and NCrunch would simply disregard the Sliverlight.csproj file. You could even build your own solution file containing the .NET projects and excluding the SL ones, then use the SL ones only for your main build that could be run in order to test your UI. It's still a bit of work though :)
partnerinflight
#40 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:00:49 PM(UTC)

Actually you know, this seems to work ok. The issue I was concerned about was that intellisense, and ReSharper, appear to treat a.cs when opened from inside A.SL.csproj as SL code, and color their compilation warnings/errors accordingly. nCrunch though appears to not care where the file is opened from... so looks like we're good. :) Now if there was an easy automatic way to create this project crosstarget mirroring... :) There's a tool for this from the Prism guys, but it still takes quite a bit of manual setup.